Installation and troubleshooting of your Thermal Receipt Printer (Eco-Friendly) - STAR MICRONICS TSP 143 on a Mac computer.
Mac OS X
- 10.9 Mavericks
- 10.10 Yosemite
- Downloading printer drivers for Mavericks and Yosemite
- Firefox settings
- Safari settings
- Things to note
**After the installation you will still need to install java as well. Additionally the newest addition to Mavericks will remove java from the computer. If the receipt is set to auto print, the browser will block the java plugin (system security of some description) even if it is normally allowed, causing the print to fail until you print it manually in purchases.**
For OS X 10.9 Mavericks, Download and Install the CUPS 3.4 Driver:
For OS X 10.10 Yosemite, Go to the Star Micronics website and download the CUPS 3.5 Driver:
Once the file is downloaded, opening the .zip file will yield the following folder.
Click on the file called starcupsdrv-3.x.0.pkg to install the package
Continue through the installation:
After installing the driver, we want to add the printer in System Preferences > Printers & Scanners. It will provide this page:
Click the "+" add button in the bottom left corner and select the correct printer and driver.
Turn off pop-up blockers. While printing the receipt, input the following settings.
(Make sure "Automatic Printing" is turned off for this to appear)
Select the Show Details button to make the following appear:
We want to select the Headers & Footers, and set them all to --blank--, like the following picture:
At this point, Safari and Firefox are very similar. Here is the Firefox menu:
Select Paper Handling and check the box for Scale to Fit Paper Size (IF THE PRINT SIZE TOO SMALL) :
Then the following settings in Printer Features:
While you're printing (your printing page will look different than this):
*Click on Show Details*
Change Paper Size to 72mm*200mm (for TSP 100)
*click here to learn how to set these margins as your default.
Select Paper Handling ONLY if the paper size is printing small and you've tried everything else:
The other option settings in the Safari page are the same as the Firefox settings. Use the images below to help you set up:
Set a Preset for the Printing
- The setting is exactly the same on both browsers (Safari and Firefox):
- After clicking 'OK', feel free to print to your heart's content!
- We recommend using Safari for printing receipts (and Chrome as a backup), due to some recent versions of Firefox printing small text.
- Also note that Firefox is not able to save header and footer settings as part of the printer preset. You will need to set up all six settings to “-blank-“ each time you print.
- On occasion, auto print will block the java plugin on Maverick.
- Adding in your MINDBODY site as a website exception within the Java control panel allows you to bypass that problem.
- Apple Icon>System Preferences>Java
- Click on 'Security' at the top
- Click on [Edit Site List] on the bottom right
- Click in the box and enter the client's site exactly (ex:https://clients.mindbodyonline.com/classic/admhome?studioid=-7320)
- Click on [Add] and [Ok]