Things to note:
- The report can be run in summary or detail view to display sales information.
- This report can be generated in either accrual basis or cash basis.
- The first time you run this report, it will default to accrual basis. If you change this, the report will remember what basis you used last time, and choose this basis as its default.
- If you choose to run the report in cash basis, then you will notice a Deposits section at the bottom. This section displays the original price and remaining balance of payments to account and assignable gift cards.
- Prepaid gift card purchases appear above in the non-deposits section.
- Report’s Location
- Define your data
- Understanding your data
- Permissions that control access to this report
- Hit the Reports tab and choose Sales from the tabs on the left.
- To narrow the list, select Sale Analysis from the filters.
- Click Best Sellers to open the report.
Note: You can always use the search bar at the top right to search for Best Sellers by name, and if it’s a report you use often, then consider making it one of your favorites.
Define your data
To manually change the report's start and end date, you can type the date(s) in, or click on one of the Quick Dates options.
You can narrow the report's results by modifying the following fields:
- Show Tagged Clients Only: If you previously tagged a list of clients in the system, then checking this box will display only those clients. Click here to learn more about tagging.
- Sale Location: You can use this multi-select list to filter by multiple business locations or find sales from your online store. By default, the filter is set to All locations.
- Products/Services: Choose whether you would like to view products and services, or just products or services individually.
- Show Top: Enter the number of top-selling products you'd like to see. For example, if you would like to see the top ten best-selling products, you would enter a 10 in this field. This filter only appears in summary view.
- Which Earned more than $__: Enter a dollar amount for the top-selling item you would like to see. For example, if you would like to see the products that sold over $250, then you would enter 250 in this field.
You can further narrow the report's results by modifying the following fields:
- Detail: This view shows the specific sale, along with the name of the client who purchased the item.
- Summary: This view summarizes each sale and lists the totals by product or service name.
- Accounting Basis: This report can be generated in accrual basis, cash basis, or both.
- The first time you run this report, it will default to accrual basis. If you change this, then the report will remember what basis you used last time, and choose this basis as its default.
- Select More to access the "Accrual & cash combined" filter. If you select it, then the report will display all sales, including purchases of account payment items that were made using a non-cash equivalent (e.g., trade) payment method.
- Sort by:
- Sales total: This option will sort by the sales total in summary view, and by the profit in detail view.
- Item name: This will sort results by the item name.
- Quantity sold: This option allows you to sort by how many items were sold during the given date range—lowest to highest, or highest to lowest.
- Category: This option allows you to sort results by product revenue categories.
- Go!: This will make the report magically appear based on the filters that you set. Note: If you click the Go! button and nothing happens, then your staff members have not completed any appointments between the start and end dates you selected.
Print, Save or Export
- Print This Report: This will open your computer's print menu so that you can print the report.
- Export to Excel: This will generate a spreadsheet containing the report's data in Microsoft Excel. To learn about exporting reports to Excel, <click here.
- Export to PDF: This will format the report’s results into a PDF file that can be saved to your computer. Printing directly from a PDF may solve formatting issues that arise when trying to print reports directly from an internet browser.
- Save This Report: Click here to learn about using the “Save This Report" feature.
- Tagging options: Tagging is your database's ability to remember all of the clients displayed on a screen. Learn more about tagging clients.
- Tag Add: Adds the list of clients displayed to the list of clients you have tagged in the past.
- Tag New: This deletes the old list of tagged clients (it doesn't actually delete the clients, just the list), then it adds everyone displayed to a new list of tagged clients. It's the closest thing we have to starting with a new list of tagged clients.
- Untag clients: This will remove any clients generated by the report from the tagged list.
Understanding your data
Depending on which view (detail or summary) was chosen, the following section defines the terms that will help you make sense of the report.
The product's name is listed in bold before the client detail information. For each item name, there will be a table below with the following column headers.
- Client: The client associated with this particular transaction. By clicking on the name of the client, you will be directed to the client’s Home screen.
- Sale ID: The sale ID number associated with this particular item. Clicking on the sale ID takes you to the Manage Sales screen, which has detailed information about all the items included in this sale.
- Date: The date on which the transaction was made.
- Location: The location at which the transaction was made. If there is only one location, then that location will still be listed.
- Category: The revenue category for the items that were purchased.
- Quantity: The number of items (i.e., products or services) that were purchased.
- Color: If applicable, the color of the product will display.
- Size: If applicable, the size of the product will display.
- Sales Total: The amount of money made based on how many items were sold in the selected date range (gross profit).
- You'll also see totals for the Quantity and Sales Total columns at the bottom of each section, as well as a grand total for those columns at the bottom of the report.
- Item Name: The name of the product sold.
- Size: The size of the item sold.
- Color: The color of the item sold.
- Quantity: The number of items sold.
- Sales Total: The grand total in sales for the specific item.
- Category: The revenue category that the items are in.
- Type: This designates whether the item is a service or product.
- COGS: Cost of goods sold, what the item costs your business to sell.
- Margin: The average net profit:
- Average net profit = [unit price - (discount amount/quantity) - your cost) / (unit price - (discount amount/quantity)]
- Without discount: [(unit price - your cost) / unit price]
To view and run this report, the following permission must be enabled for you or your staff's login group:
- Sales/Sales by Category/Sales by Services
To grant or restrict access to this report, just hit the Home tab and select Staff from the submenu. Choose Tools at the top right and click on Staff Permissions.
- Select a permission group from the drop-down menu.
- Report Permissions
- Check or uncheck the box for the Sales/Sales by Category/Sales by Services permission.
- Click Update.