Using assistants enables you to assign up to two staff members, in addition to the teacher, to a class or an enrollment.
- When you have a staff member that is set as an assistant, but can also do appointments, the Appointment Availability on the Appointment Schedule will NOT be blocked off.
To fully use the Assistants feature, you must perform these steps:
- Step 1: Enable the use of Assistants in the Class & Enrollment Options screen
- Step 2: Define which employees can be assistants
- Step 3: Make sure each assistant has the correct default pay rate
- Step 4: Add assistants to an already scheduled class
- Step 5: Use the assistants report to figure out payroll
Go to the Home tab and select Manager Tools from the submenu. Choose Settings at the top right, and click on Class & Enrollment Options under Service Settings.
- Expand all sections.
- Choose the options that best fit your business' needs under each section:
- Under the Booking and Sign-in Policies section, you can check the boxes next to "Assistant" and "Assistant 2" to enable them for all classes and enrollments.
- Under the Class Schedule Options section, you can check the box next to "Consumer Mode: Show Assistant" to show the first assistant to your clients when they view your class schedule. Check the box next to "Consumer Mode - Show Assistant 2" to show the second assistant to clients when they view your class schedule.
- Under the Enrollment Schedule Options section, you can check the box next to "Consumer Mode: Show Assistant" to show the first assistant to your clients when they view your enrollments schedule. Check the box next to "Consumer Mode - Show Assistant 2" to show the second assistant to clients when they view your enrollments schedule.
3. Click Update to save your changes.
Hit the Home tab and select Staff in the submenu.
- Select the staff member that you need to label as an assistant.
- In the upper-right corner, under "Settings," check the box next to Assistant.
- If the staff member might also work as a second assistant, check the box next to "Assistant 2."
- Click Update to save your changes.
- You'll now be able to schedule the staff member as an assistant.
Assistants are always paid using Pay Rate 1 on the Pay Rates screen. If you use Assistants, and pay them differently for assisting than for teaching classes, then you should set a pay rate other than Pay Rate 1 as the default for teachers.
To add assistants to a scheduled class, visit your Classes tab to see your class schedule.
1. Click the Edit gear to the far right of the class in question, and select Assign Assistant.
2. Select the type of change:
- Permanent - All past & future will permanently modify your historical teacher payroll data. Use this option only in special cases (e.g., if the staff member has always assisted for this class, but you forgot to add her to the schedule).
- Permanent - From date forward will add the assistant to all future class meetings that have already been scheduled.
- Temporary - Date range will allow you to set a date range during which the assistant will be joining the class.
3. Set the appropriate date(s) for the change.
4. Make sure the checkbox next to "Assistant change" is selected.
5. Select an assistant from the dropdown menu.
6. Click Submit to save your changes.
7. Repeat the steps above, or select Assign Assistant2 from the Edit menu, if you want to assign a second assistant to the class.
You can also add an assistant to classes and enrollments from the setup page.
- Go to the Home tab and select Services & Pricing from the submenu.
- Then, click the Classes or Enrollments link on the left side.
- Find the scheduled class or enrollment to which you need to add an assistant.
- Click the link below its name that shows how many instances of this class or enrollment are scheduled. (Example: The link might read, “1 class scheduled.”) This will take you to the Manage Schedules page.
- Click the date range during which the class or enrollment is scheduled. This takes you to the Edit Scheduled Class/Event screen.
- At the bottom right of this screen, click the “Make Schedule Change” link.
- Check the Assistant Change box, and use the dropdown menu to select the assistant. Repeat this step for Assistant 2, if you wish.
- Click Submit to assign the assistant(s).
- Double-check your changes on the Edit Scheduled Class/Event screen.
- Click Save to finish.
NOTE: When you have a staff member that is set as an assistant, but can also do appointments, the Appointment Availability will NOT be blocked off. For example, Say Test Staff is set up to assist a class at 2pm today. If this staff person can also do appointments, when you goto the appointment schedule, it will not be blocked off. It will only be blocked off for the main teacher.
Click here to learn how to use the Assistants report.
Note: The payment that you owe assistants is listed very clearly on the Assistants report, but it also shows up on the regular Payroll report under Pay Rate 1.
- Assistants report
- Payroll report
- Staff management
- Class and enrollment Pay Rates