Waitlists are a great feature for busy businesses. They allow your clients to stand by for the chance to grab a spot in a class or enrollment that is full to capacity. This is especially helpful if your classes tend to fill up in advance—with waitlists, you can keep your classes and enrollments full, even if a few clients have to cancel. Read on to see how waitlists can work for you.
- If you're a MINDBODY Solo Client who offers Classes, please click here for instructions.
- Setting up waitlists
- Using waitlists
- Waitlist options
- Appointments and Enrollments
The first step to setting up waitlists is to enable them. To do this, hit your Home tab and select Manager Tools from the submenu. Choose Settings at the top right, and click on Class & Enrollment Options under Service Settings.
Expand the Booking and Sign-in Policies section.
Scroll down to “Enable Waitlists” and check the box to enable it.
After you’ve enabled waitlists, you can start adding them to your classes or enrollments. There are two different ways to add waitlists.
Option 1: From the Class or Enrollment schedule
Go to your Classes tab or Enrollments tab to view the class or enrollment schedule you are adding the waitlist to.
Click the gear to the right of the class and choose Edit class setup. Or, for enrollments, click on the name of the enrollment.
- Notice the "How many can waitlist?" field. In the box, enter the maximum number of people that can be added to the waitlist.
- Click Save to activate your waitlist capacity.
Option 2: From Services & Pricing
You can also access waitlist capacity from the same spot where you set up your classes and enrollments.
- Go to your Home tab and select Services & Pricing from the submenu.
- Then, select the Classes or Enrollments link on the left side.
- Find the scheduled class or enrollment that you want to add a waitlist to. Click the link that shows how many instances of this class or enrollment are scheduled. (The link might read, “1 class scheduled,” for example.)
- Click the date range during which the specific class or enrollment you want to edit is scheduled. This takes you to the Edit Scheduled Class/Event screen.
- Enter the maximum number of people you want to allow on the waitlist in the “How many can waitlist?” box.
- Click Save to activate your waitlist capacity.
After you’ve set up your waitlist capacity, when you sign up clients for a class that is full, they will be added to the waitlist. The waitlist will display at the bottom of your Class Sign-In screen (1). When a spot in the class becomes available, the first person on the waitlist will be automatically moved into the class (as long as it is still outside of the cancellation window and the waitlist lock window).
You can also add the clients to the class manually by clicking Add to class (2).
Please note that in order to be able to manually add clients to a class from the waitlist (and overbook the class), you need to have a staff permission enabled. The “Cancel reservations” permission lets users manually add clients to the class from the waitlist. For more on staff permissions, click here.
On the Class Sign-In Screen (see diagram below):
- Any client who has been moved to the class from the waitlist displays in gray (1).
- Once the clients reservation is confirmed, the box under "Waitlist confirmed" (2) will become checked (keep in mind that only staff can confirm a reservation. Client's cannot confirm their own waitlists. The client would call in, and then staff can check box).
- After this, the client’s name will appear in color.
If you are on the Accelerate software tier and using Retention marekting Emails and you allow clients to register for classes or enrollments in Consumer Mode, then they'll have the ability to place their own names on the waitlist as well. But again, only staff can confirm. Client will be informed that they have been added to the waitlist and then if the client wants to remove themselves from the class, they can reply back to the text. This will removed from the class and go to the next cleint on the waitlist if there is one.
Please note: This feature is only available to clients who use Accelerate with the Retention Marketing Emails. The other subscription tiers, Solo, Grow, and Pro does not allow for clients to confirm in Consumer Mode. Please click on the link to learn more.
There are several auto emails that you can set up to be sent when a client is added from the waitlist to a class or enrollment, or when they have been added to a waitlist.
Reservation Added from Waitlist Notification: Notifies the client that she has been added to a class from the waitlist.
Enrollment Confirmations: Notifies the client that she has been added to an enrollment from the waitlist.
Enrollment Waitlist Notification: Notifies the client that she has been added to the waitlist for an enrollment.
To enable auto emails, go to your Home tab, select Manager Tools from the submenu, and click on Auto Emails under Communications and Marketing. Select an auto email from the dropdown menu, check the box to enable it, and hit Save.
You can also send text message notifications for the same purposes. To read more about automated mobile text messaging, click here.
Your cancellation window is the amount of time prior to the start of class after which the clients can no longer early cancel. If your cancellation window has begun, then clients will not be moved from the waitlist into the class. This way, the system will not bump clients from the waitlist into the class list if they do not have enough notice to early cancel.
- To update the cancellation windows, hit your Home tab and select Manager Tools from the submenu. Choose Settings at the top right, and click on Class & Enrollment Options under Service Settings. Expand the Booking and Sign-in Policies section and adjust the cancellation windows.
Waitlist Lock Window
Your waitlist lock window is the amount of time prior to the start of class after which the waitlist is locked and the system no longer adds clients to the waitlist.
In Consumer Mode, the waitlist lock window prevents clients from putting their names on the waitlist a certain number of minutes before the class begins. Inside of the waitlist lock window, clients must call your business to let you know they want to sign up for a class that has reached capacity.
Then, in Business Mode, when you’re registering a client for a full class after the waitlist lock window has begun, they’ll go straight into the class instead of onto the waitlist. This lets you bypass the waitlist if somebody arrives last minute, saving you time.
Note: This feature does not affect the status of any clients who are currently on the waitlist. They will still need to be put into the class manually, even inside of the waitlist lock window.
- To update the waitlist lock window, hit your Home tab and select Manager Tools from the submenu. Choose Settings at the top right, and click on Class & Enrollment Options under Service Settings. Expand the Booking and Sign-in Policies section and adjust the Waitlist Lock Window.
Number of Overlapping Waitlists Allowed
This option modifies the number of waitlists each client is allowed to join for classes that happen at the same time. When this feature is set to unlimited, clients can go to all of your booked classes between 12:00 p.m. and 1:00 p.m., for example, and join as many waitlists as they want. This can tie up all the waitlist spots for those busy lunchtime classes. If you want to make sure this doesn’t happen, you can limit this number.
Allow Clients to Waitlist Classes/Enrollments that overlap existing reservations
This option allows clients to sign up on waitlists for classes that overlap with other classes they are already scheduled into. Oftentimes, when clients feel they can't enroll in the class they really want, they will join one class, and put themselves on the waitlist for the class they are hoping to get into. This can lead to a situation where clients are moving from class to class, right before start time, which can make keeping attendance difficult. Enable this option only if you offer a lot of classes during the same time blocks.
Both of these options can be found in the Booking and Sign-in Policies section on the Class & Enrollment Options screen.
When all of your appointment slots are full, you can add clients to appointment waitlists, or have clients add themselves. Learn more about appointment waitlists.
Waitlists for enrollments work just a little bit differently than waitlists for classes. Here are a few points to note about enrollment waitlists:
Clients are not automatically pulled into an enrollment when a space becomes available if the enrollment is scheduled for more than one day. Instead, they become eligible to enroll, and must be manually pulled into the enrollment by a staff member. (If the enrollment takes place on a single day, then the system will automatically pull clients into the enrollment when a space becomes available.)
When a space becomes available, a “Remove” button and an "Enroll" button appear beside each person on the waitlist. Once a staff member clicks the "Enroll" button, the client will be registered, and will receive the Enrollment Confirmations auto email (if enabled).
On the Enrollments tab, the “View Roster” button will display in blue for enrollments that have availability on the roster and clients on the waitlist. A checkbox will also also appear at the top of the screen that reads, "Events with space for waitlisted clients."
Click on this checkbox to view all of the events with space in the enrollment and clients on the waitlist.
- Cancellation window and the waitlist lock window
- Staff Permissions
- Advanced Marketing Dashboard
- Read more about automated mobile text messaging, click here
- Appointment waitlists
- Client schedule screen